Monday, February 11, 2008

A Word About My Grandmother

When I think about it, in her last years Grandmother required a lot more attention and planning than either of my children. Between medicine, meals, and activities there just wasn't a lot of extra time in a day. Simple daily things like dressing and eating breakfast took so much time. I know that it sounds miserable, and many times it was, but I'll never be able to express just how honored I am to have walked through that season with her. I got to love her in ways I never imagined possible. That time with her, no matter how difficult, was a gift.

I admit it was hard to watch the woman I grew up with, the woman that made it possible for me to meet Jesus, the one that prayed for me every day of my life... just disappear in front of my eyes. My Grandmother was powerful... in prayer, in love, in service, in life. She was a force. She was always my very best example of God's love and sacrifice. I watched that power fade into weakness, to need. It was my turn to be the powerful one, to hold her up, to love her no matter how much it hurt. Honestly, how many times had she done that for me?

Losing her was hard, mostly because it was so unexpected. After all, we had expected to have her around another 10 years. I really am comforted knowing that I will see her again. But the greatest comfort, and even joy, comes in knowing that she is EXACTLY who Jesus created her to be. No dementia. No fear. Just Jake.

I want to walk that closely with Jesus and to know the transforming power of His love. I want to be the example of God’s love and sacrifice for my family, the way she was for me. I want her legacy of prayer, service, and faithfulness to live on in me. I want to maker her proud.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

I tried to write a comment before, but there was something going on with blogger, so I will try again.
You Are a Natural Writer. You have a great flow and are able to convey your feelings beautifully. Keep it up!
You are your Nana's grandaughter. You just haven't had 50+ years to develop your relationship with God. It will come. You guys aren't threw with each other yet. I know He has great plans for you (cliche- I know) and you have plans for Him.
You are so good at helping Grace. You just aren't able to see it. You are going to have to trust those around you when you need reassurement.
I love you girl! I am so proud of all you have done.